09 June 2010

Try New Things

It’s been about six years since I first saw Morgan Spurlock’s “Super Size Me”. The content made a huge impression on me and since then, I’ve only eaten fast food twice. Seriously. I’ve heard about his show “30 Days” and the idea to try something for thirty days. Haven’t watched it. But I’ve read about it.

Even though I did not have a specific religious affiliation as a teenager, I participated in Lent because I liked the idea of a brief season of abstinence from something. I actually envied my friends who gave up Cokes (or any other sodas) or sugar or sitcoms.

Since then, I’ve tried all kinds of things. No meat. No sugar. Daily Yoga. Wearing only natural fibers. Not watching movies. It’s actually fun to think of new things to try. Some were easy. Some were pretty difficult. Some were rejected. Some stayed with me and have become a part of my lifestyle.

Right now, I’m avoiding grain. Mostly refined grains like bread and tortilla chips. I noticed that my afternoon “slump” was worse when I had eaten a sandwich for lunch. And most tortilla chips are not healthy anyway so I decided to go without them for a month so see how I feel. It hasn’t even been a week yet and I my energy in the afternoon seems to be much better.

It’s just an experiment so if I decide to eat a piece of bread I don’t beat myself up. I just note the physical changes and get back to it if I feel like it. It’s a stress free way to make positive changes.

Taking a break from the norm can be a very relaxing thing. Fun even. Give it a try. Start small. It doesn’t even have to be about food (that just happens to be a big subject for me). Take a different route to work. Sit in a different chair at dinner. Look at the world from a different perspective and just…relax…

As always, I thank you for reading this and I hope that you are inspired to go try something new. Please leave me a note or send me an email and tell me about what you tried and if it helped you relax. I’m always interested in stories and learning about how others relax. So until next time…relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment