21 May 2010

Forget the Formula

Stress reduction is tricky business. I mean that in a GOOD way. It’s a lesson I seem to learn over and over again.

I’m the type of person who loves formulas. I like to make schedules and organize projects. I love the peace that comes from boundaries. When it comes to my personal peace of mind, I want a formula that works EVERY time. I want to believe that the combination of Nag Champa incense, a comfy chair, and the sound of a gentle river will bring me back to sanity every time I feel unbalanced. But life just does not work that way.

To produce a beautiful flower garden, I cannot use the same formula every time they begin to show signs of distress. Sometimes they need more water. Sometimes they need less water. When it’s cold, they might need protection. When it’s warm, they might need some extra shade. You get the idea.

That’s how growth is. Different needs at different times. The same is true for relaxation.

TRY THIS: For one week, schedule some quiet time for yourself and every day, change it up a little bit. Stand instead sitting for meditation. Light a candle one day and then maybe add a few drops of essential oil in some warm water the next. The point is to avoid the formula. Pay attention to your mind and your body and do what seems the most relaxing.

That’s all for today! Thanks for taking a minute to read this and until my next post, I wish you a life of peace and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment